The heart of Summer is upon us and the garden is brimming delights.
The tomato plants are laden with green orbs, eggplants are forming,
lettuces are bolting, the pumpkin hill is sprawling with leafy vines, and
the zucchini bed is thriving in the heat. The following is a moist tea bread
that I look forward to baking every year :
- three brown eggs
- 1 + ¼ cups pure vegetable oil
- 1 + ½ cups organic sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, minced
- 2 cups King Arthur, all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted & ground
Preheat oven to 350*F and lightly butter a 9 x 5 x 3” aluminum loaf pan.
In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, sugar, and extract with an electric mixer.
Fold in the zucchini and zest. Mix the remaining dry ingredients in another bowl.
Stir into the wet ingredient bowl, til just combined. Fold in the walnuts. Pour into pan. Bake for one hour and ten minutes: loaf is done when top springs back to the touch.
Cool completely before removing from pan. For best flavour, serve the following day.