- one scant cup of King Arthur all-purpose flour
- one quarter teaspoon baking soda
- one quarter teaspoon salt
- two thirds of one cup of organic cane sugar
- six tablespoons of butter
- two large eggs
- one twelve ounce package of Nestle, semi-sweet chocolate chips
- three tablespoons of cooled, black coffee
- one teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325*F : all ovens are calibrated differently,so adjust accordingly.
- Butter a nine inch square baking pan** : set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the first three dry ingredients.
- In another larger bowl, add the vanilla extract to the chocolate chips.
- Put butter,sugar, & coffee into a heavy-bottomed pan ; stir together til it begins to boil.
- Blend the hot mixture with the chocolate chips and stir to combine well.
- Add the eggs and mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the flour mixture.
- Spread batter into buttered baking pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes ; til just set.
- Cool and cut into squares or shapes.
Notes : * Dip the cookie cutters into cocoa powder before cutting out shapes,for ease of removal.
** Shiny, aluminum pans bake the most evenly : dark-coated or glass ones will over-bake this recipe. Use American-made, high-quality pans like Nordic Ware for the best results.